Thursday, May 14, 2009

when the storms are over

I spoke with one of the doctors yesterday. I asked quite a few questions and she graciously answered them all. One of the things I have been a bit nervous/anxious/overwhelmed by, is the storming that Fergus is going through. Everyday is so draining with his inability to control his reactions. The idea of dealing with this everyday when we take him home was depressing to say the least. The doctor encouraged me yesterday, explaining the processes of storming and that it will not last forever. In fact, it will hopefully end within a month or so. When it does end, the medications will start to be reduced and the therapies will be able to go much further.

It will be at that point that the doctors can think about whether or not he needs a trach. The apprehension about his airway is usually during the storming episodes. When he doesn't storm, his breathing sounds really good. So, to be on the safe side, after the storming has stopped, they will consider testing Fergus' need for a trach. The trach will not be removed until they know for sure that his airway will not be compromised.

Fergus was doing better yesterday, especially while being held. Last night he enjoyed taking a bath for the first time. He cried loud and hard when taken out, but didn't lose control. - In fact he was simply angry at us and let us know! It is so good to see him behave like this. I was encouraged.

thank you for being faithful,
esther

4 comments:

  1. God hears all these wonderful people that come on here and pray for him. It warms my heart to read your blogs. I look forward to seeing the updates about Fergus. Thank you for updating this often and keeping us all informed of his ups and downs. God bless this little baby and continue to make him better. Keep him safe and comfortable and patient. And keep Esther's spirits up "A cheerful heart is the best medicine" (Prov. 17:22)

    God bless Fergus and your family...AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Est, so good to know how you and Fergus are doing! It really helps direct my prayers. We miss you guys! Please give hugs and kisses to Fergus for us and tell his siblings that we love them and miss them! :) Aunt Rachel &c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther,
    My heart goes out to you and your family. After losing Carter, who wasn't even full term, my only comfort was knowing that God is in control. I can't even imagine the heartache you are experiencing seeing your baby boy like this, who you've helf and loved and nurtured. But rest assured knowing that he is complete in Christ. I will continue to pray for him and your entire family for absolute healing and restoration. I pray for strength for you and Matt and peace for the children while you are apart. I pray that God's mercy and love wash over you and fill you to overflowing. That you will experience so much joy in Fergus' healing that you will not be able to contain it. That others will hear his story and be brought to Jesus. That Fergus' story will be that of God's awesome power and majesty, and that he himself will be able to stand before others and tell it.
    With all my love,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt and Esther,

    I wanted to let you know that I have been praying for little Fergus and you both (and all of your family) since I heard about what happened back in March. I pray constantly, often many times throughout the day and you are always on my mind. I pray that God will give you comfort and peace and also strength (and energy) to get through each day. And I pray for healing for little Fergus. I am thankful for this website so I can read each update and know the specific prayers you need. I know God's healing Hand is with Fergus. There are a couple of scriptures that I find comforting that I hope will give you some comfort: "...with God all things are possible." (Mt 19:26) and "...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) I am so sorry for what you are going through. Please remember there are so many prayers being said for you and your sweet little boy - many from people you don't even know, like me. I hope that brings you some comfort.

    God Bless You!

    Gail Hinckley (a friend of Becky Saxe)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave messages for the family and friends of Fergus Lockerby.

Whether you know this family or Fergus personally does not matter.

Whether you write a line or a page, leave a verse of scripture or a meaningful quote, or words of your own, we welcome your participation.

What matters most is the sense of Christian community that we create as we take part in lifting our brothers and sisters in their time of need, and thereby we too are lifted up, with encouragement and love.

Lets not miss an opportunity to help each other live lives filled with HOPE for healing for Fergus and his family and ourselves.

Join us! We are glad you are here and we want to hear from you, too!

~debbie reagan

"Let the little children come to me" ~Jesus

He took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. ~Mark 10:16, speaking of Jesus