Saturday, April 18, 2009

progress

I am so encouraged by your comments! I am so blessed that so many of you love us so much. Thank you.

This past week has been so encouraging about Fergus' progress. I hold him as much as possible while there, for at least an hour at a time. I think he is starting to calm down a little when he hears my voice, especially when I sing 'Amazing Grace' to him quietly. He still looks at me with a blank stare but at least he does look at me for a little while when I talk to him. He is not comfortable enough yet for the therapists to do a lot of work with him. They are moving him, working with his legs, feet, arms, and fingers. One of the main concerns of the therapists is his back. He continues to arch and rarely keeps it straight.

At Ranken Jordan they use the term 'storming' to describe his episodes of anger, when his heartrate skyrockets and he sweats profusely. When he storms, he arches his back severley while extending his feet and hands (very stiffly). His storming happens frequently and they hope to get it under control. They told me that some kids have been known to break out of the storming cycle.

Because of the continous work with Fergus and his posture, I've already noticed a difference while holding him - even during storming, he arched less than before (he would arch so hard and stiff previously that it would take a lot of my strength to keep him from falling).

Yesterday was the first time that he slept in my arms for the past month. I cuddled him and he stayed comfortable for a long time. Then, he suddenly coughed really hard. A lot of mucous was coughed up out of his trach. It was very messy but extremely good news. The stronger he is to cough up his secretions, the sooner they will work on taking out the trach. He has been coughing this whole time, but not very hard, nor really enough. The doctor was excited to hear that he was that strong.

Currently, we are settling into Haven House here in St. Louis. The accomodations are very convenient - some meals provided, a kitchen to use, play areas, kids' books, and only 10 minutes away from Fergus. We can come and go very easily.

Please continue to pray for Fergus. He still is very uncomfortable and unsure about everything around him.

*Pray the storming cycles are broken*
*Pray that his back is straightened out, that the arching completely stops*
*Pray that he continues to heal completely in his trachea*

Thank you for loving us.
esther

6 comments:

  1. Hi Aunt Esther,

    Thank you so much for the continued posts, I check this blog all of the time to see how things are progressing, and to find out what specificly you want prayer for. Wish I could be there with your family, but know that you are always in my prayers. I'm praying that God will sustain your family and give you the strength you need. I hope that you and your family will grow closer together to God. I know that this has drawn me closer to Him. I'm not faithful in my devotions, till now. Now I have them everyday so that I can pray for fergus. I love you so much.

    Love,
    Cousin Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Esther,

    You don't know me (we used to go to Leptondale). I just want you to know that I am praying for you and your sweet little Fergus. My heart aches for what you are all having to endure, but I am encouraged in the knowledge that God gives His abundant grace at the very point of our need. He is by your side strengthening you and holding all of you in the palm of His Almighty Hand. May you feel His nearness each moment of your day.

    In His Love,
    Marie Burns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! I am friends with Mark and Sheila Cave. It is through them that I heard of Fergus and your situation. I just wanted to let you know that our church in McRae, AR is praying for you all. I view the blog and appreciate the updates. May God pour his peace out upon you and your family.

    Jami Latture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey friends...

    Our church and small group have both been praying for Fergus, the rest of the kids, and you two. We know that God has a plan for Fergus' life, and we know His plans are good. Jeremiah 29:11 is still true, and nothing can change that.

    Grateful that God's heart is immeasurable,

    mcvetys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt and Esther,
    One of my co-workers just stopped by to get a report on Fergus. I mentioned you all in a meeting and she said the Lord has not let her forget you since and she has been praying. I gave her an update and the new prayer needs...So so many people are praying for Fergus! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. matt and esther,

    i've been intermittently following the drama through renee and just today got this link to your blog. it's crazy what life presents us! i know you aren't the sort of family that seeks comfort in arriving at the status quo of comfort but i'm sure it looks enticing to have normal back! :)

    i hope for you a new pace in life that makes room for this new norm. also, i wish for you clarity to know what would be helpful from others in the process.

    you two are cool and always will be.

    all my love,
    michael ellis

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave messages for the family and friends of Fergus Lockerby.

Whether you know this family or Fergus personally does not matter.

Whether you write a line or a page, leave a verse of scripture or a meaningful quote, or words of your own, we welcome your participation.

What matters most is the sense of Christian community that we create as we take part in lifting our brothers and sisters in their time of need, and thereby we too are lifted up, with encouragement and love.

Lets not miss an opportunity to help each other live lives filled with HOPE for healing for Fergus and his family and ourselves.

Join us! We are glad you are here and we want to hear from you, too!

~debbie reagan

"Let the little children come to me" ~Jesus

He took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. ~Mark 10:16, speaking of Jesus